Liberals making Tasmanian roads safer


The Federal Liberal Government has today announced projects worth $17.4 million to create five new Heavy Vehicle Driver Rest Areas in northern Tasmania.

Liberal Member for Bass, Bridget Archer, and Liberal Candidate for Lyons, Susie Bower, said the Federal Liberal Government was delivering 80 per cent of the funding for these projects through the existing Heavy Vehicle Safety and Productivity program, with the remaining 20 per cent funded by the Tasmanian Liberal Government.

“Investment in better infrastructure is a key part of the Liberals’ plan for northern Tasmania,” Mrs Archer said.

“We know Tasmanians drive long distances and the quality of our road infrastructure is critical to their safety.

“This funding is going to make roads in northern Tasmania safer by tackling driver fatigue, with the aim of reducing the proportion of road incidents involving heavy vehicles.

“Our government has committed $650 million to this program across the country over a period of more than ten years, and it is great to see northern Tasmania continuing to get its fair share of that funding.”

Liberal Candidate for Lyons, Susie Bower said that truckies were crucial to the economic security of Tasmania and this program would help to get them home safely.

“We know how important truckies are to our State’s prosperity, particularly for the industries that operate in remote and regional parts of Tasmania,” Ms Bower said.

“Heavy vehicles deliver our fresh agricultural produce and commodities to market, which supports jobs in rural communities, and helps to feed and clothe our State and the nation.

“As the biggest federal electorate in the State, Lyons has a huge amount of heavy vehicle traffic, so it’s great to see a major investment like this making sure those roads are fit-for-purpose and users can get home safely.”

The projects funded under this announcement are:

●$5,415,000 to create three new Heavy Vehicle Rest Areas on the Midland Highway (Kings Meadows), Bass Highway (Forest Farm) and the Murchison Highway (Fossey River)

●$12,012,000 to create two new Heavy Vehicle Rest Areas on the Bass Highway (Westbury), eastbound and westbound.

Infrastructure investment is central to the Coalition’s economic plan and these investments are only possible because of our strong record of economic management.